Ranger Vianney Harakandi and his family are lucky to be alive. A few days ago, they awoke to find their house engulfed in flames. The blaze started as a cooking fire in their neighbor’s kitchen and quickly spread to their house. Somehow they managed to escape the smoke and flames before it was too late. Tragically, their neighbors died in the fire.
Vianney first became a ranger in 1991 and in recent years has been working tirelessly to help Virunga rebuild tourism. As you might imagine, Vianney saved money for many years before he was able to build his family this home. Sadly, all that is left now are the lava rock walls. Vianney and his wife have three young sons and now find themselves with nothing but the clothes on their backs. If you would like to help this ranger family rebuild their life, please give whatever you can. For the rest of this week, donations will be channeled to the Harakandi family.